Thursday, June 2, 2011

Worst plane ride ever...worth it!

You think I am exaggerating. Well, I am not. I thought a quick easy flight over to Palm Springs to visit Melody and run the Memorial day 1/2 marathon would be a breezy breeze! Wrong. I'll just fill you in with a little text.

Text to a few friends: "We almost went down on the plane. It was spinning like a toy airplane with the wings flipping up in the air. I threw up twice in the barf bag and everyone is throwing up, fanning themselves. They tried to land 4 times in Palm Springs with the WORST turbulence. Finally we had to reroute to LA. "

Kelsey: "What the? Get off that plane asap!"

Me: "They won't let us off! I feel hostage...with my barf bag in hand."

Alana: "Whoa, barf bag in hand is the worst thing I have heard all week."

Obviously my favorite part was my friend's responses. I kept thinking in the air "I would rather fly to Thailand 7 times than take this flight again (24 hour plane flight..7xs). I can't wait to tell James that, then he'll understand how bad this flight is!"

Well after 45 min the pilot promised that the wind had calmed down and we headed back to Palm Springs..well, 2/3's of us did, the other 1/3 didn't dare get back on that plane!

Reunion with my sweet Melody!
NEVER been so happy to get off a plane!!

Introducing her gooer #1: CORBAN
I could die for these kids. Look at that hair!!
Gooer #2: GAVIN!! Yes he weighs 35lbs. My arms are still sore from carrying him around Mel. You are a rockstar for doing this daily!
We got one day to relax and church it up.

Who has a family this cute? They do. I love the ODell's!
Thank you for all the support boys!!
4:45 am came pretty early. We had to wake up to drive to Laguna Hills and start the race on time. Of course we are waiting in the porta potty line right here. If you have ever ran a race before..you know the drill!!

There is nothing like running a long race with your sweet Hawaii friend of 10 years. We had soo much to catch up on while we ran past palm trees and a waterfall that all of the sudden we were saying "Whoa..we are at mile 9 already?!" We partied it out for 1 mile and cranked our music. Then I had one more story to share for the last 3 miles and ....
WE WERE DONE!! 13.1 MILES!!
I was so proud of Melody. It was her first race and she pumped it out like a champ. Just 8 months from having her last baby!

YAHHHHOOOOO!!!
The free massages afterwards were the smartest plan ever.

We managed to find some RICOS in line. One of them was reciting poetry to us, claiming he made it up on the spot. Riiiiggght! "It's just coming to me right now for you ladies." Nice try big guy. Melody was showing off her wedding ring loud and proud :)
Getting our body fat tested after running 13 miles was our 2nd smartest plan!

My main priority for the day was to get to the beach. Not for me..but for Melody. "Heidi, I haven't laid out by myself without kids running around for 3 years!" I am sure you moms can relate. I was sooo happy we laid there for a few hours and she fell asleep. A dream!
Matt brought the boys later that afternoon. So fun to watch this sweet reunion.
At the beach Melody told me Matt was the one that asked her what her hobbies/passion/goals were after having their 2nd son. He helped her come up with the idea of running the half. I love watching them and their family together. It makes me so happy when I know my best friends are taken care of by a wonderful man.
Thanks Mel for having me out and the great idea. It was a perfect way to honor our veterans and loved ones and reunite together. Hope everyone had a fabulous Memorial weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe we did so much in such a short period of time! You forgot to add how you missed the flight on the way home and slept like a gypsy under a palm tree! Your seriously the best ever and I am so greatful for you in my life. I have learned so much from you and you continue to always inspire me! Thanks for helping me accomplish yet another goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are updating again! Love it- Love the photos and the barf bag, you know us hanging over the rim in Santorini, Greece puking......then tossing and turning all night on Costa, I means Noah's ark...i was laughing my guts out reading this. Thanks for putting the libks to all of the blogs- I love to see what all of your friends are doing....love em all! And congrats to you and Melody- good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should workout....
    I'm so glad you didn't die on that plane! I was freaking my guts out. You are a champ for going on another plane. Great pix!
    Love you LONG time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What another fun trip! Nothing like spending time with old friends. Seriously though, could your body be any more bangin? I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Looks so fun. You are lookin smokin hot too! xo

    ReplyDelete