Sunday, July 24, 2011

Calm down

Do you ever feel that people sometimes just need to CHILL out? The situation at hand is usually not life or death. This is me at 5:30 AM getting ready to go to Bikram yoga with yes, a BROKEN FINGER.

Even attempting yoga this early and with the injury and all, I was half hoping/ wishing that I would get some positive feedback from the instructors such as this:


“Oh wow, way to go coming to class with your broken finger that is constantly PULSING and you can’t even use your whole hand to do the poses. Way to go to even try! Good job, 6 AM and everything!”


On no people, that was WAY too much to ask from the Bikram Natzis. My comment of the day was:


In her annoyingly calm yoga voice “Ok, soooo um even though you have a broken finger, you still need to get your arms back!!....go back, more back, WAAAAY back” as she carries on with her usual jargon.


Can I not just catch a break? I don't see anyone else in this room with a broken limb.

This summer marks 4 years that I have been doing Bikram yoga (otherwise known as yoga in a hot sweaty 110 degree room..'the torture chamber'). Obviously there is something that keeps me coming back to this rigorous work out. So much that I even go when I am out of town.
The pic above is of the Bikram yoga studio just a few blocks away from James' place. I LOVED that it is on the 5th floor with the city buildings as your view.
Alana and Trace (my die hard yogi buddies) were texting me like mad after the class to see how different/much the same the class was from our Sugar house class.

My report: "Yes girls, the lingo is across the board."

"Find comfort with in the discomfort**Push and push and push**Like a flower pedal blooming**Forehead and knee must touch**Like a Japanese ham sandwich**SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT **Lock your knee, lock your knee, lock your knee**Pulling is the object of stretching**One vertebrae at a time**Spinal twist** Breath of fire**Nomaste **

The big difference between Chicago and Utah was THE HUMIDITY!! Holy cow. I walked in and didn't think the room was that hot. 'Oh Utah is WAY hotter. This will be a breeze' I thought. About 2 min in, I was eating my words as I was sweating buckets. They said that the humidity is much harder to work in than the heat. Man did i feel good when the class was over. That is probably the main reason I keep going back though. I feel SO good after I do this work out.

Ok on to DAVID GRAY!! Beccs and I were able to go see him live at Kingsbury Hall. He was amazing live and I highly recommend going to see him. I am bringing this concert up in this post because we experienced another Natzi like experience here.
Ok, the setting is a like A ROCK CONCERT. So you think you could sing and dance and talk right? Wrong. In between songs at the beginning of the concert we were just chatting and laughing and some girl (our age....not a grandma) reaches her big arm up and starts SNAPPING in our ears! I haven't been snapped at since I was like 8. Becca turned around and she did the cut throat sign to her.

I said to Beccs "What? Did that girl just snap at us? That is soooo embarrasing!" Loud enough so she could hear of course. Sometimes I just don't get it. Why do people get so uptight? Right after that I got in trouble for taking a picture. We felt like we were in prison...at a concert!

Anyways, I still love listening to David Gray. I still go to Bikram yoga. You come to realize that when stuff like this happens it actually just makes your memories more funny to look back on. As my brother says when he goes to the Red Sox games 'It's all about the experience'.

3 comments:

  1. ummm.... you forgot to mention the sick guy next to me that was giving you bad looks everytime you opened your mouth. HIGH SECURITY PRISON TIME! had so much fun though! sorry jc had to miss out on his bday present- he he :)

    good job almost getting your arms back far enough with that broken finger.... wait. that's no excuse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - Can't we catch a break..? I love this, and do wonder why we keep going back for more... I guess we'll discuss this after class tonight :). See you in the torture chamber!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post! So funny! It really is great that we can sit back and laugh at life. I don't know what I'd do, if I couldn't do THAT!
    Love the cut throat! PEEING about the cut throat.

    ReplyDelete